historia-bann

The Short History of Vesanka

Vesanka has been inhabited since the middle of the 16th Century. The main farms in Vesanka at that time were Sipilä, Siekkilä, Ristola and Yrjölä. These farms still exist.

 

  • vesangan-historiaAbout 10 000 years ago the Ice Age formed the beautiful landscape of Vesanka.

  • In 1507 Vesanka is mentioned in the official documents for the first time.

  • From 1559 onwards Vesanka is permanently inhabited (Soikkala 1559, Yrjölä 1560, Siekkilä 1564 and Sipilä 1564).

  • In the 1640s Vesanka is transferred from the Parish of Jämsä to the Parish of Laukaa.

  • In the 19th Century the general parcelling out of land (Isojako) finishes. New farms are established.

  • In 1808-1809 the Finnish war – Russians in Vesanka.

  • In 1837 Jyväskylä was established as a market town.

  • In the 1850s the village is doing well. Chimneys have been built in the old smoke houses. The new main buildings of Halila and Siekkilä Farms are built in the Empire style.

  • 1868, based on the division of the parish of Jyväskylä and the on the division of religious and secular administrations in Finland, the town and the rural municipality of Jyväskylä are born. Vesanka becomes part of the Rural Municipality of Jyväskylä.
  • In 1891 the first school of Vesanka starts in Lampsinmäki.

  • In 1897 the village has a railway station, railway, a post office and a shop.

  • In 1918 the Civil War of Finland affects also Vesanka. Nowadays the memorial for the people executed during the war is situated at the crossroads in Nyrölä.

  • In 1920 Rientola Hall is built by the Workers’ Association of Vesanka.

  • In 1925 the village gets electricity.

  • In 1919-1926 the constructions to straighten the railway track and to build a tunnel bring new people to Vesanka. A new railway station is built.

  • In 1946 the sports association Vesangan Vesa is established.

  • In 1950 the Health House donated by the Swedes is opened.

  • The 1940s and 1950s mean construction. Trains take care of the local traffic. Railway stops of Humalamäki, Möykynmäki and Ruoke are in active use.

  • In 1960s the operation at the railway station fades out and is eventually finished.

  • In 1968 the new main road is completed.

  • The Rural Municipality of Jyväskylä and Jyväskylä town join into the City of Jyväskylä 1st January, 2009.
  • In 2009 the Vesanka Hall is built and the village gets a new school, a day care centre and a library.